jeudi, septembre 06, 2007

On writing

Today, I discovered that Maud, who's a good friend of Reb, has a blog, where she has posted two examples of her writing. It is always hard to judge these blog thingies, for they are both forums and diaries, showcases and windows to the soul. The latest text is pretty good, if you're into that sort of thing, the style is acceptable, sometimes brilliant, sometimes easyish... You kinda wish she'd grow up as a writer, because there's definitely something there, although sometimes deeply hidden.
Which brings me to my point : It has been pointed to me, recently, regarding something I'm working on lately but haven't shown to anyone save a select few, for reasons which I'm not even sure I can explain, it has, as I was saying before digressing, been pointed to me that my writing has improved.
I am not saying this to brag, I hadn't even noticed, I'm still not completely convinced it's true. But let us, for the sake of argument, consider this for a second : how have I improved ? In the last few years, I have been writing on and off pretty much all the time, for two very different purposes : the obvious first is the academic writing, which is basically the core of my job, producing texts of various lengths to explain what I think or have been thinking about. The second is what you read here on this blog, and have read in the green file I had in high school, or whatever. The interesting point is this : Be it in the academic field, or here in my various musings and stories, the way for me, and, I believe, for anyone who writes, to improve is to have written. If my latest work is indeed better than my previous musings, it is not because I have toiled and suffered more over it, if my thesis project is now found good by my boss, it is not because I've given it a lot more thought. In both cases, I achieved more, I hit closer to my goal (be this goal Science or Art), simply by having worked on something quite different. This is comforting on several levels :
First, it gives me hope that one day, despite my inherent laziness and insecurities, I might finish something of a reasonable length, and, maybe, consider publishing.
Second, it makes me feel better about not finishing some of the things I've abandoned for the time being, although with the hope I will finish it someday, don't lose hope.
Third, it may mean that someday I will be able, in my academic writing, to write things once and for all in the first go, which will save time.

All in all, I'm pretty glad about this great discovery. Don't get me wrong, I'm still plenty doubtful about my true potential as a writing person, but it has given me a clearer perspective on my career and on the things I enjoy doing. I hope I haven't bored you guys too much, and wish you all the best. And I hope this little post will have reassured those who maybe thought I'd not been working on more stories.

2 commentaires:

Maud W. a dit…

Coucou!
Merci pour ton com et aussi pour ce post! Clair qu'il y a encore beaucoup à améliorer, mais ça me motive à me mettre à écrire un peu plus sérieusement et plus régulièrement.
Malheureusement, j'ai pas pu lire tes histoires depuis le début (j'essaie de rattrapper petit à petit) mais quand on te lit, ça donne vraiment envie de continuer! Bisous!

cheztao a dit…

hum.. You do write alot better... the fact is, I quite don't always undestand what you are writting, so it's gotta be good no? At least, better than my usual reading prospects!!! lol
C'est en forgeant qu'on devient forgeron!!! tu forge pas??? ahhh.... ben désolée alors...
Uhhh, anyway, when are we having some following up on some stories that have been published in here without end to it yet???
Héhéhéhéhé, kiss kiss
keep on writing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!